Sunday 15 January 2012

Sick baby. Sick daddy. Busy mommy.

Although I have felt quite rigid around putting much of anything pharmaceutical into mine and my husband's mouths over the last 5-10 years seeing our dear wee one with a mucousy, awful sounding cough today had me reconsider. For all you mamas out there, I'm sure you can relate. An immediate 'Give me anything to help this child out!' type reaction had me running to our vitamin shelf in the linen closet. I had a few homeopathic remedies for babies and for adults but few things to remedy her symptoms. Hmmm...it's a Sunday afternoon and I live in a rural town....I felt my options were limited. After putting her down for a nap and leaving my hubby in front of the tube I was pleasantly pleased to see that our local pharmacy was very well stalked with natural remedies, and uber surprised to find a pharmacist agreeing that homeopathic remedies are best for babies (with cold) under 1 year. As I've been told by a family friend who has practiced homeopathy for years, the homeopathic remedies in the pharmacy aren't nearly as good as they would be from a homeopathic doctor. It's true, the remedies at your local pharmacy do have many remedies mixed into each vile to cover a wide range of symptoms (fever, dry cough, mucous, pain, congestion). A private doctor would conversely study your child's case and nip the specific symptoms they are experiencing in the bud (clear mucous? kali bicromicum. Mastitis? Pulsatilla. Or something of that sort).  However, when your in the state of mind that you'll do anything to help your kid and their ailment on a Sunday afternoon in the country these general homeopathic remedies will do more than suffice. In fact they've been working really well. I bought Coryzalia Cold (no alcohol, sugar, coloring or preservatives) from Boiron and Cough and Cold Night-time formula (no side effects, dye-free and sugar-free) by Homeocan. Both are Canadian companies. I have yet to report on the latter (let me know if you're interested) but the former is a winner in a pinch! Wish us well!

Oh and if you're wondering how this mama has escaped this nasty cold the answer is all wrapped up in Elderberry drops from SURO (also Canadian)....amazing, natural and helps you fight a cold like NO other! And slippers...can't forget the slippers. Looking for a good pair? www.padraigcottage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment